Which concrete paver to choose for you project and why.
A few notes on the manufacturing process of concrete block paving using the wet cast vs dry cast methods
THE DRY CAST PROCESS
- This process requires less water and a shorter curing time than a wet cast process
- The concrete mixture is poured into a mould and compressed under high pressure
- The pavers have an optimal water to cement ration,making them incredibly strong
- There is no slump when the product is demoulded
- The minimum standards for the manufacturing process dry cast concrete block paving is governed by the Sans 1058: 2012 v2.1 document.
- Paving standards in the SANS document relate to tensile splitting strength, dimensional stability and abrasion resistance.
- The minimum standards are determined by a stringent testing process which guarantees that paving will not fail under certain conditions.
- Applications for a dry cast concrete block will be roads, driveways, parking areas, high traffic areas, traffic circles, heavy duty industrial and civil installations, commercial projects.
THE WET CAST PROCESS
- The wet cast manufacturing process requires more water and longer curing periods
- A mixture is poured into a mould and then vibrated to release air bubbles
- There is more water in the mix offering a strength suitable for residential purposes
- There is a slump on the demoulding of the product
- The Sans 927 :2013 document governs the manufacturing standards of we cast concrete (tests a cube of concrete)
- The standards are not as stringent as it does not consider concrete blocks in particular and there is no determination of a minimum standard for abrasion resistance
- Applications where you would use a wet cast product would include walkways, borders, pool paving, patio paving, residential projects as borders in commercial parking areas.
Applications of each process
Examples of wet cast products – Cobbles
Cape Vue Guest House – Franschoek Wet Cast Cobble in Lava finish
Examples of dry cast products. Bond Paving 200 x 100 x 50
The Promenade Mouille Point Cape Town Bond pavers 200 x 100
For more information, check out the blog by TLC Supply Inc
Should your require samples or additional examples of the two processes, please call us now on 0219055998